AIMS & OBJECTIVES
- To enhance average milk productivity through upgraded female calf rearing programme at farmer’s doorstep.
- To reduce initial (3 months) milk feeding cost of calf by feeding Milk Replacer & Calf Starter.
- To reduce the mortality of calves by improving management & by feeding Milk Replacer & Calf Starter.
- To extend productive life by bringing upgraded heifers at desired maturity.
- To conduct awareness programmes to milk producers for scientific & cost effective calf rearing.
- Gokul Milk Union has developed Milk Replacer (protein 25% & Fat7%) to reduce initial three months milk feeding expenses of the calf. Reconstituted milk from the Milk Replacer has almost all the essential nutrients which are present in milk.
- Gokul Milk Union has also developed the Calf Starter (Protein 23% & Fat 4%) to stimulate the ruminal activity at earlier stage of the young calves.
- Gokul Milk Union pays incentives to the farmers @ Rs.3500/- & Rs.5000 for cross breed and Indigenous Cow respectively & Rs.10,000 & 15,000/- for upgraded and pure breed Buffalo respectively. If registered heifer gets pregnant in stipulated period. Gokul also gives incentive in 2 nd pregnancy. For cross breed and indigenous cow Rs 1000/- and Rs.2000 respectively, and for upgraded and pure breed buffalo it is Rs.5000/- and Rs.7000/- respectively.
- Gokul Milk Union provides feeding package at 50% subsidized rate which consists of Milk replacer (10Kg), Calf starter (25Kg) & Dewormer on registration.
- Veterinarians of Gokul Milk Union carry out tagging, registration and weight measurement of calf at farmer’s door step regularly.
- The milk productivity & health of registered calves are monitored by veterinarians.
Analysis of survey carried out for registered animals under this programme, is as under:
||Figures Based on Survey
|No of calves registered upto Feb. 2014
|No. of animals sold out
|Animals available with farmers
|Animals in maturity
|Conceived within given age*
|Conceived after given age
|Poor management / rearing
|Not yet conceived but going to conceived in near future
|Avg. Milk production lit/day**
|Total no. of animals will come in production (6+7+9)
|Expected milk production lit/day
|Improved lactation yield ltr.
Patent Bagged For Milk Replacer
A Patent for 'Milk Replacer' for calves has been awarded to Union by Government of India.
Calf rearing Scheme Booklet
Gokul Calf Rearing by Vemuru Krishna